A member of the Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring that Briers Basketball Club (Briers) fulfills its mission by planning for the future, monitoring operations, and evaluating the organization’s performance. A board member must fulfill the fiduciary responsibilities of the board of directors, making corporate decisions that protect the public interest.
Advance the mission of Briers.
• Actively promote the mission of Briers, contributing ideas and expertise.
• Keep up-to-date on developments in the organization’s field.
• Be informed about the organization’s mission, services, policies, and programs; inform others about the organization, and work to enhance the organization's public image.
Select any contractors through an appropriate process.
• Provide ongoing support and guidance for the contractor, as approved.
• Annually review performance.
Ensure effective organizational planning.
• Determine and monitor the organization’s programs and services.
• Participate in the development of a strategic plan to accomplish the mission, oversee its implementation and evaluate its success.
Actively participate in all board activities.
• Attend in person or by phone the monthly board meetings.
• Review agenda and supporting materials provided at board and committee meetings.
• Serve on a committee and periodically take on special assignments.
• Suggest nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and to the organization.
• Assess the board’s performance.
Ensure adequate resources.
• Manage resources effectively.
• Carry out the fiduciary responsibilities of the board, such as reviewing the organization’s annual financial statements, selecting an auditor and receiving the auditor’s report.
Follow conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
• At Annual General Meeting
• One Year
• Participate in preparation of annual budget
• Board Chairperson
• Monthly Board Meeting (2 Hours)• Additional time as required for committee work and other board commitments.
"LET'S MAKE BASKETBALL HAPPEN"